Monday, April 23, 2012

Taxi Scam at Bangkok Airport

I have copied this from another forum, but feel it worthwhile posting as a warning to members. The bottom line is do not take anything at face value.

Watch out if you plan to use Mr.T taxi.

Last night I had a scheduled airport pickup with Mr.T. When I arrived I went to Gate 3, as instructed in the email from Mr.T. As I approached Gate 3 a Thai man walked up to me and said, ';I work for Mr.T. You go to Pattaya?';. Yes, I said. ';Okay we have driver waiting for you. Follow me';. So I followed him to the car. A driver was there. He opened the trunk and loaded my luggage. The tout said again ';I work for Mr.T. The driver will take you to hotel in Pattaya';. Okay, I said. So we get in the car and drive away. Just to be conversational, I ask the driver if he knows Mr.T. But the driver does not speak english. None. All he says is ';Pattaya, yes';. An hour later we arrive at the hotel, Sabai Inn. I pull out 1000 baht to pay the driver. ';No'; he says...1500 baht. I said no, it%26#39;s 1000 baht and show him the email from Mr.T. He cannot read. He says again 1500 baht. I cannot speak Thai, he cannot speak english. So we go into the hotel to find an interpretor. I talk to the hotel manager. The hotel manager talks to the driver. ';Driver says his fee is 1500 baht';. But I have an email from Mr.T...1000 baht. ';Driver says he doesn%26#39;t know Mr.T...never heard of him.'; At this point, it was going nowhere. But my luggage was still in the car. ';Driver says you must pay him 1500 baht';. At this point, I was running out of options. So I gave him 1500 baht and told him I would report him to the police.

So be forewarned, there are problems using Mr.T taxi.

Taxi Scam at Bangkok Airport

Some reliable services to get you from the airport to Pattaya:

GEMS %26amp; PHON TAXI %26amp; VAN

62/121 Moo 6 Nongprue, Banglamung,

0 3873 4472; Fax: 0 3873 4472

Email: gemsphon@loxinfo.co.th

http://www.imagelimo.com

http://www.belltravelservice.com/

Taxi Scam at Bangkok Airport

I would still recommend mr t taxi just make sure you see a guy with your name on a board if he dont know your name then he isnt the one!!


I posted this as a W A R N I N G to everyone. I know when arriving at any airport after a long flight one is anxious - will my taxi turn up and I think we probably all may clutch at straws.

I think the minimum check one must now do is to check that the ';taxi driver'; knows ones name and knows the name of the hotel where one is staying.

Last year I arrived at Phuket after what was a problematic series of flights where my luggage was also lost for over 24 hours and was pursuaded to get into what was probably an unlicenced taxi. I had not pre-booked a taxi and had intended to get one of the metered taxis at the airport. I was not overcharged, in fact got a good price (350 bhat from airport to Amari Hotel at Pattong), but had I not felt as exhausted I would not have got into this vehicle


This is not a problem of Mr T%26#39;s Taxi, but a scam. They obviously know many people book Mr. T and hang out to try to find his fares. I doubt any of the people you delt with were affiliated with Mr.T


Spot on Snow Pirate, reminds me of the scammers you sometimes meet who say ';Remeber me from Ko Phangan?'; just guessing that youve been there. If you say yes, after small talk they start offering services.

Yes probably not Mr T at all.

1,000 baht for a taxi to Pattaya sounds too much of a bargain anyway, would probably have been shared with someone else. 1,500 is all right, so that%26#39;s probably why the hotel staff didn%26#39;t bother sticking up for you.


Absolutely no slur on Mr T.

A warning for all to be carefull about which taxi they get into, at a time when they are tired and not at their best, having just completed a long flight


Happens very easily in Thailand, be careful, they spot the easy pray very quick and even before you are able to explain you don%26#39;t want their services they have you in their car :D


I have used MR T many times, never had a problem. Always someone holding a sign with my name on it. Yes the fare is 1000 baht including tolls 900 coming back. I used him twice this month no problems. Just look for the sign. You would have to be careful of someone just asking if you book Mr T, how would he know if you booked or not. Keeps trying till someone says yes.


Very good post to warn people!!!

But I do feel compelled to defend Mr. T, whose service I (and relatives and friends) have used over and over for 8 years -- without a single problem.

This scam clearly had nothing to do with Mr. T. (I know the poster knows this, but I just want to make that clear again).

If you do book a taxi with a company, including Mr. T, make sure the driver is holding a sign with your name on it. If not, DO NOT GET IN HIS CAR. Simply take a regular metered taxi. They are readily available.

Mr. T%26#39;s drivers always have signs with the passenger%26#39;s name!!


I to have used mrt for 4 years and never had any problems ,always been on time with name on board.As send on the above post 1000 baht going to pattaya and 900 baht return.Top service and would recommend to all

  • dwight howard advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment