Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Unlocked Mobile for Thailand

Hi





Can I please confirm if I need to do anything else other than removing my provider SIM card for an unlocked mobile phone? I would like to use it in Thailand with a prepaid SIM card.





Thank you





Unlocked Mobile for Thailand







Confirmed!





Unlocked Mobile for Thailand





Hi,





Not sure I understand the exact question, but if you%26#39;re asking if simply removing your current SIM card is sufficient to make your phone UNlocked-- then the answer is no. If it%26#39;s *already* unlocked or was bought free from locking in the first place then you%26#39;ll be OK by simply removing the SIM..





Travel Safe,









Thank you for the responses. I wasn%26#39;t sure if global roaming had to be set up on my mobile before leaving Australia and wanted to check this because we will be leaving on Friday!









If you%26#39;re using your phone in Thailand with a local SIM, then you will not be ';global roaming.'; That only applies when you take a phone WITH its SIM to another country and use it there.





The SIM card is what gives your phone its ';brain.'; The PHONE doesn%26#39;t ';know'; or ';care'; what country it%26#39;s in.





The important thing is to make sure it isn%26#39;t SIM-LOCKED. If it%26#39;s unlocked and you pop in a Thai SIM, it ';thinks'; it%26#39;s a Thai phone with a Thai number.









Hi Tash, Heres some info on the Thai Sim Card that we use and how to get the cheapest rates etc etc.



http://www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/phoning_home_-_sim_card%26#39;s.htm



Cathy









Thank you all for your help and for the link to your website about using mobile phones Cathy









OK I am confused reading all this.....lol. I was just going to take our 2 own mobile phones on roaming over there, my son also has one which we%26#39;ve used on roaming before in Vanuatu and found it very handy to have our mobiles at various times if we wanted to go separate ways at all. Am figuring I will be doing this with shopping at least!!!





Is this the best option as far as cost etc goes? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance





Leanne









In principle, if you use global roaming you will get slaughtered by your provider on extra charges. That%26#39;s why it makes sense to get your phone un-SIM-locked and get a Thai SIM card. Then it ';thinks'; it%26#39;s a local phone, making local calls.









luvtotravel.....global roaming is fine if your boss pays your phone bill. If you make a call, as I understand it, it is via the Aussie mobile network, so you are paying international calls in both directions. Get a Thai Sim for all, you can top them up for a few dollars.









Thanks bill2 sounds like an option but how do I know if I have to get my mobile un-SIM-locked?? Can I just take my own sim card out, put in a Thai one and be ready to go???





Also Brio2 I%26#39;d expect we%26#39;d only be using text messages but maybe we should get a Thai Sim. Are they readily available?





Probably silly questions but I%26#39;m really not sure.





Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment