Sunday, April 15, 2012

ATM Withdrawals - What's the limit?

Hi,

Just wondering how much you are allowed to withdraw per day from an ATM - I thought I read somewhere that the Thai banks will only let you withdraw 20,000bht per day, that%26#39;s only about $650. I%26#39;ve just worked out that it%26#39;s going to cost around $15 in fees each withdrawal we make. Considering we are there for over 3 weeks that%26#39;s going to work out to be an expensive exercise! Is it for def that UOB Banks don%26#39;t charge the 150bht fee? Are these banks everywhere, specifically Bangkok (in the Chinatown area), Chiang Mai, Krabi (AO Nang) and Kata? Do many people use the Wizard Clear Advantage Card? Is it as easy as it sounds? Many thanks for any help

Cheers, Lollygobble

ATM Withdrawals - What's the limit?

20 banknotes.

ATM Withdrawals - What's the limit?

The Wizard Mastercard is brilliant when preloaded with your own money. It gives excellent exchange rates.

If you%26#39;re comfortable with the idea take a fair amount of cash with you to avoid ATM fees. When we were in Phuket in August/September this year we used ATMs owned by a variety of banks and they were all charging the 150 baht fee. If you were using the Wizard that would be the only fee you would be paying (AUD4.95 with the current rate of exchange.)


I only needed to withdraw once (with my Wizard card - fabulous) and I used a purple ATM- I think it might have been Siam bank. I%26#39;m pretty sure it wasnt Bank of Bangkok which was right next to it.

Anyway, it gave me the option to withdraw 25 notes. I could chose 100 or 1000 baht notes, so naturally I chose 1,000 notes.

We mostly took cash.

And I found the Wizard card as easy to use as everyone says. Took about 5 min to apply on-line and got everything in the post in a couple of weeks. We bpay%26#39;d money into the account before we went. And I compared the exchange rates when I got home and they were just as good as cash. And it cost for the 1 withdrawal at atm 150bht - so about $5. If you do a withdrawal at a bank counter its not supposed to cost anything - just takes longer.


Limit depends on both your card provider and the bank concerned. On my Thai ATM card I can draw 40,000 baht per day, but it has to be in two batches of 20,000. If a machine is running low on notes, it automatically restricts withdrawals to a lower figure


You won%26#39;t get more than the limit your bank account allows! I have a $500 a day limit on my checking account that I can use my debit card with. Even if the ATM allows me to withdraw more than that amount in Thai baht I can%26#39;t get it. Start with your bank first. What is the daily maximum you can take out?

If your bank or credit union allows you to get travelers checks for free you could take some of them.. If you can get some large size TC%26#39;s the price to cash one is only 33 baht. This cashing fee is much cheaper than the 150 baht per withdrawal you pay at an ATM. Some TC%26#39;s are in the $500 sizes.

Up to you.


If you do choose to use traveller%26#39;s cheques buy them in Aussie dollars at Australia Post in the largest denomination available. These will be commission free.


If you are using a Visa or MasterCard debit card/check card, you can walk into the bank and get a cash advance, with no atm fees. I have pulled up to 40,000 baht at a time this way (not sure how much higher you can go, have never needed to get anymore than that).

However the no fee deal applies only to debit cards, if you use a credit card you will get fees and interest charges from your card issuer.


great thanks we were also wondering about that, is it any bank?


Most major banks will do it, but not every branch. I usually use Bangkok Bank, but have also used Siam Commercial and Kasaikorn Banks.

  • brown hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment